Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Little Light Reading: Mid- October Mini-Reviews

Mid month check in! It's been a slow reading month so far mostly because I'm playing Mrs. Spratt in a children's play. Rehearsals are 4 nights a week for 3 hours. It's an awesome part: I'm melodramatic and ridiculous! I love being involved in theatre. It gives me the chance to hang out with a completely different set of people than I usually get to. 

"Come see my show" is pretty much my new motto.
Theatre Kids do it on stage. 
Me and the Mister. #Spratty 

***I have gotten a bit of reading in, though. 

The Fair Fight was really good. I reviewed it earlier this month.

All Our Pretty Songs: Sarah McCarry is one of the authors that will be at Book Riot Live. I would like to be able to read at least one book by everyone in attendance, but I doubt that's going to happen because of my schedule. This book was a bit of a surprise. I wasn't really sure what to expect. Five stars is not a usual rating for me. So this one is a top pick.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of those books that is referenced by bookish smarty pants on a moderately regular basis and I wanted to have it under my belt. It's set in the early 1900's and follows the life of Francie, a poor girl who wants to be a writer when most of the people around her are scraping by to make ends meet. There were moments of true poignancy and excitement and there were many many more moments of dullness and "when is this going to be over." Because I finally read it, I will likely never hear another reference to it in my life.

Ghost Knight was super fun and cute. Cornelia Funke is a favorite author (You may recall my various rants about the Inkheart series. Read that.) and I actually even listened to the notes from her at the end of the audiobook, which may be a first. Jon is an 11 year old boy who, after being shipped to a boarding school finds out he's the descendant of a cursed/ haunted man from long ago. This is written for older kids, young YA and is a little scary but you have the knowledge that everything's going to end ok.

I don't think that's going to be the case in all the books I got from the Book Riot Horror box. I'm looking forward to digging into the books. And, as always, love the swag that Book Riot included. 

No comments:

Post a Comment