Friday, May 22, 2015

Book in Progress: Beautiful Creatures (Book Review)

I don't remember starting this book before but I got all the way to track 10 on the audiobook before it became new. I wonder if I got bored with it or if I had to return it to the library before I finished it.

This is one of those books that really irritates me. I really like the story. What's not to like? A boy who is hopelessly devoted to a girl who is magical but insecure. This is YA crack.

Irritating things:
The writing is inconsistent. Maybe that's because there is more than one author? I don't know. But there are sometimes when four sentences are used to repeat the same sentiment. Where I'm like, OK! I GET IT!

Ethan's favorite line is: What are you talking about? As in, a bunch of stuff was just (over) explained and I still don't know what's going on. Seriously, Ethan, keep up! Lena's favorite line is: What? As in, I don't know what you mean when you ask me what's going on even though I just did something that any normal person would think is weird. Maybe these things are more annoying in the audiobook because of the reader's tone of voice. Ethan sounds like a thick- headed rube and Lina is a shady witch... I mean, caster.
I also wonder if I stopped reading it before when the movie came out. That can totally kill a book for me. Look at this movie poster. I almost threw up. Twilight has nothing to do with it... the movie posters just also make me want to vomit.

Update: I could also do without the heroin- junky music tracks. I probably would have loved it when I was 14. So, no hate.

Disclaimer: all pics borrowed from the internet, found via google search.

No comments:

Post a Comment