Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Library is the Bad Guy Here (Outbox: June 2)

The library is a fucking trap. People are always talking about how they can't get out of Target with just the items they went in there for. I actually have my doubts that people go into Target with a plan at all, but I digress. I have a very clear plan/ directive. DO NOT CHECK OUT ANY MORE BOOKS! (Book club books obviously don't count.) This rule is in place when I have in excess of 20 books already checked out... if you add in the books I have on hold to be delivered... welp. You can see why I have rules. But then I have to turn in the books I already have checked out, and BOOM! There's a flashing beacon of light pointing to the NEW books or the FEATURED books or whatever. And have you ever noticed that the book return is located past a a bunch of "impulse" shelves. I swear, they are marketing geniuses working for Monroe County Library System! Long story short: my plan is totally junked. I sat down to write this to avoid checking out anything else!

Outbox:
Since my last blog, I've read 6 books. I'm trying to get better about varying my ratings, but I truly did really like them all. Jennifer Barnes was the surprise hit with Every Other Day. I don't know why I was surprised  because I really liked Raised by Wolves... which reminds me, I need to get the second one. Werewolf Cop was also surprisingly good for something with such a stupid title.

Beautiful Creatures was a bit of a disappointment. But I think that is because it was so hyped up when the movie came out. There really is a sweet spot for reading books after they become popular. I'm not in a hurry to complete this trilogy though I probably will eventually. I'm so glad that I got to Paper Towns when I did. It's about to tumble over the precipice of don't bother.

The Novice is a prime example of why you don't pick up a new book when you know it's part of a series. I've decided not to even think about it, again. This helps me avoid the angst of the wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment