Monday, June 29, 2015

On how I ripped off a Book Challenge (14 in 4 Update)

A friend of mine, Shawndawna (yep, real name, I don't know why she prefers to go by Nicole) and I wanted to do a book challenge. I'm not totally sure how the whole thing started but I'm almost positive that I likely threatened to kick ass and take names. I did a search online and found a few different challenge ideas but kind of landed on this one at Megan Stroup's blogspot from 2012.

I promptly modified it with a few different categories. I created a Fb book group so that Nicole and I could do so shit- talking Nerd-style. Then, we both started adding friends and reader-nutz. We are now on our second challenge, having completed one in Winter 2014.

There are two groups of people who are active in the group. There are those who are trying to read more who tend to read books that fit the challenge but struggle to read them all. Then there are those of us that read a butt-ton and struggle to read books that fit in the categories.

Of course, I think the important thing is that I am, indeed, kicking Nicole's ass.

My SPRING 2015 Challenge so far 

Challenge
Completed
Ideas/ other options
Read a book from one of the US banned book lists.
 
 
The basis for a movie that you have already seen.
 
Jurassic Park
A graphic novel (or trade paperback).
Saga Volumes 1-4
 
That you already own but have never read.
Throne of Glass
 
That was recently selected by a local library for book discussion.
The Spectacular Now
 
With a character that has your first name.
 
 
Set in the decade you were born.
 
 
In one calendar day. (Must be at least 150 pages long)
Crash Into You
 
Set in a place you’ve never been but want to visit.
How to Build a Girl
 
Written by an author of a different racial, religious or ethnic background that you are.
The Living
 
A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade
A Sense of an Ending (2011 winner)
 
Written by someone when they were under the age of 25
 
White Teeth
A retelling of a classic story (e.g., fairy tale, Shakespeare, classic novel, etc)
Scarlett
 
A self- improvement book
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment