Tuesday, June 16, 2015

In which I try a new sign off saying (Outbox: June 15, 2015)


 Hello. My name is Kenya and it's been 8 books since my last confession. I mean, #outbox post.  I did post about a few comic book reads, yesterday. How is the hell do people manage to post daily and/or about each book they read? I'm not sure I even own that many words in my wee noggin.

Anyway, I am not including on this list of books my near miss with Vampires in the Lemon Grove, a book of short stories that made me want to shove a needle in my eyeball. By that, I mean, I didn't care for it and abandoned it midway through short story number three. Maybe it got better after that. I'll never fucking know.

Alrighty, highlights of the outbox: 

Undertow was a great read. Looks like I gave it 5 stars. Wow. The main characters are a girl with some secrets and a foreign kid with some knife arms. Goodreads says: "Action, suspense, and romance whirlpool dangerously in this cinematic saga, a blend of District 9 and The Outsiders." I don't know what either of these two things are but I might look them up. I'd say that Undertow is a little Romeo and Juliet and a little... IDK... something were people are being marginalized and discriminated against because they are different. So, ya know... real life. But different. Just read the description for jibbas and jabbas! 

A Monster Calls was recommended to me by a friend I may never speak to, again. It's about a young boy who is visited by a monster who is formed from the Yew tree in the old graveyard outside the kid's window. As you can imagine of anyone with a graveyard outside their window, the boy is going through some serious stuff and the monster keeps babbling about the importance of stories. It full of wonderful descriptions and imagery. The whole thing is beautiful and heartbreaking and has earned my friend a spot on my "not to be trusted" list.

The Walls Around Us will probably graduate to my "favorites" shelf. It's about three girls all trapped in some way or another... I can't tell you too much. The way the story unfolds is really pretty awesome and kept me flipping pages until dawn.

Apparently, Leaving Time was the only non-YA book I read over the last two weeks... not counting that Vampire/ Lemon Grove nightmare. It started out a little slow but it's another one that was really so good. This is the fourth JP book I've read. Her topics are always so apparently varied, though the relationship theme is persistent, though that's probably true of most books. Anyhoo... this one weaves through the story background, information, and anecdotes about elephants. It's not clear, at first, how these relate to the story, which is one of the reasons why it seems to drag a little. But it more than makes up for it at the end with a classic JP WTF moment.




I need a good signoff thing... How about: Boss Out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment