Saturday, October 6, 2018

What I've Been Reading: September Reads


I don’t think I’m too late to talk about my September Reads, am I? Haha! I don’t care what you think! I’m gonna do it!!

One of the things that I notice about my reading is that when I am busy, I tend to read more audiobooks with fewer print books completed. And September includes 11 days of Rochester Fringe Festival! Which is AWESOME!! Here’s some pics!! At the end of September, I had 3 books that were just hanging out on my “currently reading” shelf.  None of them were bad, they just weren’t calling me back to them after I got distracted. I’ve moved them all off the shelf and returned them to the library. Maybe they will find me again when I’m a person who can appreciate them.

Let’s see… The good, the bad, and the I only read this because book club made me:


The Good:

I was shocked at how much I liked Girl, Wash Your Face. Honestly, a white Christian lady telling me anything about anything just grates my nerves on principle. But I found this Rachel Hollis “self- help” book really charming.

I am ALL ABOUT the Cressida Cowell How to Train Your Dragon audiobooks. David Tenant reads them. Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third is an unlikely but obvious hero and his father, who suffers from classic toxic masculinity as the head of the tribe, always comes through with some touching parenting moments. Gimmie all the Hairy Hooligans!
http://it.fanpop.com/clubs/how-to-train-your-dragon/images/35049608/title/fan-art-fanart
I wanted to read the second Shadowshaper book so obviously I had to re-read the first Shadowshaper book. I was not disappointed. 

Here's my Goodreads review for Boy: "Jesus. No wonder the teachers/ adults in his books are terrible. He had some pretty awful grownups. I’m so glad he became a writer and not a psychopath. It coulda gone either way, really."


The Bad:
NOTHING! Everything was at least good enough.


I read The Winter People for the Greece Library Book Club: Pints and Prose. It’s not that it’s bad. I just didn’t get it. But then I’m asking myself, why do I have to GET anything? I’m looking forward to the book discussion next week because I bet other people are going to change my mind about this book.

I read Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows for my regular book club. Everyone really liked it. Especially the naughty bits.

I read The Study in Scarlet Women for Read Harder for the mystery by a POC or LGBTQ+ author. Ms. Thomas is Chinese. It's a Shelock Holmes in which Sherlock is a woman. And basically has sex in order to ruin her marriageability. I loved this strategy to be honest. 

I read Circe for The Gates Library Book Club. It was super long and I'm glad that I was able to read it as an audiobook. Most people in the group really liked it, most of them having been Greek myth-ophiles already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment