Friday, September 21, 2018

Writing Inspiration: We All Write and Roc Fringe 2018

As part of the Rochester Fringe Festival, I saw a powerful presentation by a group of Black Women Writers in Rochester. It was set up as a glimpse into their writing group process. Each writer presented a couple of pieces with real time responses from the rest of the group (and fellowship shouts of praise from the audience). The plan is for an encore presentation at The Avenue Theatre next Friday. I intend to go and make my 18 year old daughter go, as well.
Some interesting things that were said, that might serve as writing prompts:
1. Discussion on stage: Things I am letting go of - someone said "smallness," as in they are ready to expand into their full self. Someone said "caring so much about what other people think." Prompt: What do I need to let go of? I’d say that sometimes I am far too focused on maintaining distance. But, that might not be something I want to let go of. People are terrible.
 
2. This quote: "I love the sound of my feet walking away from things not meant for me." Amazing concept.



 
3. There was an interested piece about the "qualifications" for a relationship - like, I have reviewed your application and you are not qualified. I consider this often. I tend to keep my friendship circles small, though I also tend to know a lot of people because of my extra- curricular activities. Prompt: But, what would I consider to be on my application for becoming a close friend?
 
4. One woman shared a piece about how she feels invisible when she has to introduce herself to the same person over and over. This happens to me, often. But I usually think of it as a reflection of my superior memory rather than a reflection of my own forgettable-ness. I suppose narcissism has its benefits.
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35959740-circeI guess, since this is a "book blog" I should mention the book I'm reading. It's Circe by Madeline Miller, which kinda goes along with the theme of strong women bursting from their shells. It's the Gates Library Read Women book pick. It's about, yes, Circe the minor Greek goddess who was banished to live alone on an island. I'm doing the audio book which is pretty good. It's also a little bit boring though. But I'm at the part where she has a baby and almost nothing makes a female character more boring than new motherhood. Sad, but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment