Wednesday, December 20, 2017

What I've Been Reading and How the Hell I'm Gonna Read Harder

I am working “frantically” to finish the Read Harder challenge over the next week. How could I have read so many books and still have categories unsatisfied for this damn challenge!? I guess, this is the point of doing a challenge: to expand what I’d typically read. But I’ve read about 7 books in the last 3 weeks!!!! I’m ridiculous. I'm also on the brink of quitting so that I can start thinking about 2018 challenge. Because that makes sense. ::eye roll emoji::

But, whatever. Here are my favorites over the last few weeks. No real surprise that my favorites are parts of series I've been loving.
Hollow City - a good completion of the Ms. Peregrine's Home of Peculiar Children series.
The Creeping Shadow: can Jonathan Stroud do any wrong? No. He cannot. Another stellar story of the ghost buster teens. This is book 4 of the Lockwood and Co. series.

The Boy on the Bridge is a prequel to The Girl with All the Gifts. You should definitely read the GWATG. The prequel was good, too.  
I started the Darker Shade of Magic series and LOVE it!! I read the first two of the trilogy and am on hold at the library for the 3rd book. I'm probably going to post about Lila, who is adored by the book community and is actually quite a dickhead of a person. But I guess we love feisty women even if they have no moral compass and don't care about any one else's safety but their own. I don't know. If we can love Severus Snape, I guess we can love Deliah Bard.

And here are the books I’m planning to shove into my brain before December 31st for Read Harder:

Read a book that is set within 100 miles of your location: The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger. I’ve started this book and am just not that interested. But, I’m COMMITTED TO READING THIS!!

A Travel Memoir by Shannon Fowler: Traveling with Ghosts. I hate travel memoirs, as a rule. I’m almost done with this one.

A book set in Central/ South American written by a Central/ South America: Love in the time of Cholera. This has been on my TBR since the beginning of time (2009).

Micropress: NO IDEA!!

Collection of stories by women: I’m totally screwed.


Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck!

    Have you tried the Goodreads Read Harder discussion group? You may find some suggestions for those last two categories there.

    I am torn on whether or not I will do the challenge next year. I should probably decide soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so much a lack of ideas as a lack of motivation to read categories I don't like. I have a great plan to get those out of the way at the beginning of the year this year. And yet...

      Delete