Saturday, December 30, 2017

Three Star Reads - 2017

All of the #BestBooks of 2017 posts have inspired me to consider the worst books I’ve read this year. Worst is relative, right?

The best way I know to do this is to look at the stuff I DNF’d (posted yesterday) and the books with my lowest ratings.

One of my book goals this year was to give more 3- star ratings, because it's a good score, it just *feels* mean. As it turns out, 3 stars was the lowest rating I gave. This means that even my “worst books” were not that bad. They just weren’t at the top of the pile for me.
But my pile was 130 books deep. Check out my Goodreads shelf for reviews.

Some "highlights":
I was utterly disappointed in The Girls because several people told me how good it was. This is exactly why I like to keep my expectations low, y'all.

Bella Cora was about prostitutes and it still wasn't that interesting. How can that be! It's almost like sex- workers have to deal with day to day life just like the rest of us. Damn shame, too. 
What I’ve learned in reviewing this list is that I don’t like fiction that is really too much like non-fiction. I knew this about myself. But I’m glad I’m reading more narrative fiction, like Gilead, My Nig, and Juba.

It's also interesting that I have good feelings about the Land of Oz and Honor Girl but am wrinkling my nose at some other books on this list. Yet, they were rated the same. Weird, right? 

Related Posts?

No comments:

Post a Comment