Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Book Review: A List of Cages by Robin Roe


I’m already cheating at my own challenge. The point of the ClearASHelf challenge is for me to focus on books that I own. However, to make it more inclusive, books that have been on a virtual shelf can count, too. So, I’m not really cheating, I’m just violating The Spirit of the challenge. This confession absolves me from all feelings of guilt.

Let’s talk about this book, shall we? There may be spoilers, alas, so proceed as you dare.
I picked up A List of Cages because of the cover, probably, and because it was on the New Teen Books shelf. I trust that shelf to lead me to some good stuff. And this one fit the bill. 

The book is a touching, dramatic story about Adam, a high school senior who is loveable and bouncy and has a great relationship with his mother.  He’s confident and well- liked by everyone. The book is also about Julian, a withdrawn high school freshman whose life has crossed Adams several times as the boys have grown up. In Adam, Julian finds a friend and starts to recognize that some of the crazy shit he’s been dealing with is, in fact, not normal. Soon, Adam is walking a fine line no friend wants to: figuring out when keeping the confidence of a friend is negated by a responsibility to get help.

There are some pretty tough scenes in this book and if you find that you are the kind of person to get trapped in an emotional ditch of feelings and can’t get out, this is not the book for you. Bad things happen to good people, y'all. 

There’s a sentiment throughout the book: people aren’t mean, they are just unhappy. Let me tell you this is a bullshit statement, which makes sense given that it is touted mostly by people in extremely unhealthy relationships. People can be both unhappy AND mean. Do not excuse people’s assholery simply because they are mad, sad, or all up in their feelings about stuff.

There are several TERRIBLE adults in this book. There's one teacher in this book that had me cussing up a storm. I hate terrible anti-child adults, especially teachers. I don't care what their fricking back story is. (ahem)

I loved Julian’s internal dialogue. All the hugs to Julian.

I loved the friendships in this book, too. Adam and Mahogany? I can't remember her name, but it's cute. 

I was a bit annoyed that Adam is ADHD for several reasons that aren’t actually relevant to this review. I actually thought that Ms. Roe was going to describe the condition without actually labeling it and I was kind of refreshed by that, which doesn't make any sense! Because, I also like that he was ADHD because he’s a pretty good picture of several ADHD teens I know. He’s a terrible representation of other ADHD teens I know, though. I guess that’s what bothers me about any labeled mental health diagnosis in books: I always worry that it will seem like THE CORRECT REPRESENTATION. Silly, I know. (see my related post)


And the final confrontation at the end of the book was a bit cringe- worthy, like, really would that happen!? Yes. Probably. But it was totally necessary for the closure I think that we all needed with this story.

I'm currently reading The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas so, basically, I'm a fucking mess and will need to read several light- hearted romance novels or something in order to function this week. For other stories that will make you cry, check out this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment