Monday, October 9, 2017

Book Review - The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas



Welp. Here’s another book that left me a blubbering mess. The other one was earlier this week. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think so.

The Hate U Give has gotten a lot of great book buzz. I knew a bit about the main story line and I honestly wasn’t in the mood for a book about another teen death, with civil rights oriented content or otherwise. Seriously, yall. Make sure you are taking care of your own emotional wellness!

Anyhooo!
THUG was definitely worth the hype. It’s the story of Starr, a girl who lives in a dangerous intercity neighborhood and drives into the suburbs to attend private school. At home, she gets teased for thinking she’s too good for her black friends and at school she has learned to grin and bear the slightly and not so slightly racist stuff that comes out of her friends’ mouths.


She has worked hard to keep her “separate Starrs’” lives separate but when she witnesses her childhood bestie killed by the police, she realizes that she has to figure out how to be true to herself, her communities, and the memory of her friend.

The main story line is strong and important, but I’ll be honest. It’s not the best part of this book. I laughed out loud many times with the interactions between Starr and her family members. I read this via audiobook and could tell it was written and read by folks who know what those interactions sound like, for real. This was one of the few times I had an overwhelming feeling of being reflected in a book. That’s powerful stuff, y’all. Thank Black Jesus that I haven’t had to experience everything in this book, though. But books should be both mirrors and windows.

There are also some exceptional moments between friends in this book. Starr comes to terms with the fact that she has the power to decide which relationships matter to her. Her mother is the truth. But also, there are many examples of the extended family and relationships that happen in the city and with Black (and other POC) families often. “Haven’t you ever heard of the power of numbers?” This quote is said while the characters in the books are talking about how white people always want to split up during a crisis in movies.  But it highlights one of the biggest themes in this book. The other, of course, is that your voice is your weapon and we can never stop doing right.

I read this book via Overdrive; Bahni Turpin is the audio reader. I love her reading. Love.

Related Book Reviews (similar topic content):
 

2 comments:

  1. Coming from a middle aged white woman's perspective I thought this book was right on with the accuracy of the description of Star's conflicted life. As I drive to work each morning through impoverished neighborhoods I am now thinking about the people who choose to stay living in the city and what this choice means for them day to day. This book left my heart aching and also in many ways hopeful. Of course I loved that Star's Mom was a nurse. It left my mind amazed at the writing of this authors first book. Already looking forward to her next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, anonymous poster! I think that fact that the parents were also thinking about how to be helpful members of their community and protect and provide for their children was a wonderful part of this story. I think I ignored many many many literary parents when I was a younger reader.

      Delete