Monday, January 2, 2017

Clear A Shelf Wrapup and December Outbox

HAPPY NEW YEAR Y’ALL!!
It’s hard to believe that it is 2017. My guess is that it feels a lot like 2016. Here’s hoping that we aren’t embarking on the beginning of the end of the world as we know it. I will be honest, though. If the dystopian future is about to happen, I am definitely going to be part of the over- controlled (but possibly rebellious) group within the walls who have electricity and central heating. I ain’t gonna lie. I don’t like temporary camping. I definitely wouldn’t survive as a member of the Resistance holed up in the woods.

Anywhoo…

We all know that outbox posts are harder if they cover the whole month. And, yet, of all the posts I did in December, none of them were outbox posts. Welp. And because I don’t want to do a separate post for the Clear A Shelf challenge, I’m smooshing that in here, too!



Here are the highlights for the month.

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo: I finally read the second book in the Grisha Chronicles. I'm annoyed by the potential romantic relationships that Alina has or doesn't have or whatever, but I really like the rest of it. And it ends in a place that makes you want to read the next one, though.

Rabid by Bill Wasick was undoubtedly on my list to meet some criteria for a reading challenge but I don't actually know which one or when or why or whatever. But I enjoyed hearing about the virus and it's carriers (mostly dogs and bats) as well as other illness shared between humans and their animals. Interesting note: the phrase "hair of the dog that bit you" originates from the belief that if you were bitten by a rabid dog, you should insert a few hairs from the tail of the dog that bit you. That might be relevant to how some of yall are feeling this new years day! 

The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow is a top dystopian YA series for me. Top of all the YA series, I think. Love it. [Link to Review]


I am really glad that I stuck with the Alex Crow by Andrew Smith, but it was weird.

The Lockwood and Co Series by Jonathon Stroud was also a surprise treat for the month [Link to review]. I had never heard of the books but they were available via Overdrive. Excellent series. Beware the bitter female trope. 

I also read the sequel to Ms. Bardugo's other series: Crooked Kingdom. I loved this series overall.



******December Clear a Shelf Challenge: ****
The books circled in blue also count toward my December Clear a Shelf is a Challenge focused on reading books that you already own. December was my second time doing this month long challenge and asking twitter friends to join me.

If all things go well, I will have read 6 books from my book shelf by the time this posts. Whooot!! Also, Thanks to my tweeps who participated with me!

Lorryn at The Reading Parent ; Dominique at Pirates and Pixie Dust; Jen of A Little Loopy fame; and Victoria at Doodles and Scraps. These are fun ladies to tweet with! 

Currently Reading: 
The School of Good and Evil will make 6 Total Clear a Shelf books. Whooot! 

1 comment: