Tuesday, January 31, 2017

January Wrap Up - Three Excellent YAs

I’m exhausted right now. But, I have to wait for my daughter to get out of rehearsal, anyway so I might as well tell you why by Book January sucked so hard.

First off, I have only completed 6 books this month, three since the outbox post a couple of weeks ago. This isn’t really a low number and I would never think this isn’t “Enough” books. It’s just well below by average for the last couple of years. However, I’m trying to take it easy on myself and switch my way of thinking about THE NUMBER. My goal is to read fewer books more mindfully this year. My guess is that the goal will wax and wane like so many others.

All three of these books earn a We Need Diverse Books badge!! Whoot whoot! Here's what I've read:

A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir is the 2nd book in the Ember in the Ashes series. I LOVE IT. This books ends in a place that has a few loose ends but I could live with it being the end of the series. However, Tahir has TWO more books planned. I'm just hoping it doesn't get all jacked up... and that I remember what's going on when book 3 comes out. 

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera: There's a bit of a mental mind fuck going on in this book. I actually think it would be an excellent book club read for teens and/ or adults. Lots of moral ambiguity and what not. I have many thoughts and feelings about this book, but it's really the kind of book you should read without much info. 

My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier: Che is a 17 year old boy who is basically working his ass off to keep his socio-pathic 10-year-old sister from killing anyone. He is struggling with how to effectively explain being a good person while being a regular teenager. I didn't find the book creepy (except for thinking about someone watching me while I sleep) but there are definitely some parts that are disturbing if you think about them. I'm wondering if one of the lessons of the book is to live your own life and let other people deal with their own crazy ass kids. After you read it, let me know what you think. 

If I end up doing full reviews, which is looking more and more doubtful the heavier my eyelids get, I will come back and link the cover pics. 
  
Book In Progress:
I’ll wrap up the 7th book for the month by the end of tomorrow. The Amulet of Samarkand is the 1st book in the Bartimaeus trilogy. It is the second series of Stroud's that I have read. The first being Lockwood and Co, a series that has yet to wrap up. I reviewed the series to date HERE. I enjoy the hell out of Stroud's witty characters and snarky style. The close- calls rely a bit heavily on chance and luck for Barimaeus and his young master Nathanial but it's a romping ride so far. It's a darker, more cynical take on the magical community. Technically, this is another middle grade series but damn you all to the other side! Judge me! I don't care!!

What have I been doing instead of reading, you ask? It's called ACTING, dahhling. Rehearsals for Sister Act are well under way and I might be dying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment