Friday, January 20, 2017

Read Harder - Roc: An LGBTQ Romance

Last week was the first meeting for the Read Harder Rochester book group! We had four whole people show up! Whoott!!

This month’s categories up for discussion were: A Book about War and A LGBTQ Romance. This post is about the latter.

 An interesting point that came up doing the discussion about this category is that all members agreed that it would be important, moving forward, to choose books in the “diversity” categories that were written by authors from the under-represented group. Not all of our books this time reflect this approach and the readers could tell that an "insider" voice would probably have been better.
What I Read:
For this category, I chose More Happy than Not by Adam Silvera. I really liked this book and still have high hopes for reviewing it, so I won't say too much about it here. But, it's about a boy who has a girlfriend, but also feelings, and then BOOOOOMM! WHUUTT!? Exactly. I would also recommend When the Moon Was Ours for this category.

Two important things: First, I don't think this counts as romance so I don't consider this task complete. However, this book does count for the YA written by an LGBTQ author (confirmation pending!) AND for the debut novel tasks. I don't intend to double dip but if I must, I will! Second, when I googled "More Happy than Not fan art" this picture of Emma Swan from Once Upon a Time came up. I don't know what that is about but I approve. [pic links to source on Pinterest.]

What Other People Read/ Recommended: 
Kelly read If I Was Your Girl. This book about a trans woman depicts a trans model on it, which is great but I can't get over how thin she is. This may be because of the teens I work with who have disordered eating behaviors. Or maybe because I'm fat. I don't know. The book is reportedly a great read.

Sarah read Hold Me by Courtney Milan, The Magpie Lord by K.J. Charles, and Bad Idea by Damon Suede, who gets points for having an awesome last name and a cute Goodreads bio. Bad Idea sounds super cheesy and I have added it to my TBR list.


Kristi (and then two other people) read Tipping the Velvet by Sara Waters and author known to all of us. 

See my other Read Harder Roc posts:

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get to read Bad Idea and Hold Me yet, but they're both on my e-book hold list with NYPL. I can't wait because yeah, The Magpie Lord probably would've been better if it had actually been written by a gay man, and it had a pretty solid non-romance plot so I'm not actually counting that task complete yet either.

    ReplyDelete