Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

Found a book tag post that I liked over at in A Bookish World ! Yes, I understand that other people are supposed to tag me in book tags. But I do what I want!! 

1. A popular book or series that you didn’t like.
Usually if a book or series is super popular I won’t read it. It’s hard to live up to the social media hype these days. But I’ll say one book that seemed popular that disappointed me recently was Wuthering Heights. This crap fest is referenced everywhere and people are always all "OH, Healthcliff and Catherine" and I thought, "ok. I have to read this. High school English Lit can't be all wrong, right?" Now, I just want that endless time back. I was also WILDLY disappointed in Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia. Wildly.

2. A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love.

I don’t get to talk to people about books that much, so I’m guessing here. And really, it’s not that everyone hates it. It’s that everyone who read it as an adult (or teen hipster) hated it. One book I loved that continues to get a lot of flack was the Twilight series. I know it’s not great writing and I know that I want to punch all of the characters in the face. But, I have to give credit to any series that makes me run out and buy them all in succession.  There was just something about it. ::shrug::

3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn ppl for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don’t like.

That’s a hard one. I almost always root for the obvious choice, I think. No, that’s not true. I always root for the best friend rather than the hotty who shows up and becomes the Eclipse. (::cough:: #TeamJacob ::cough::) … That being said, I hated that Hermione ended up with Ron, though I also think that he wasn’t as bad the second time I read the book. If that’s a spoiler for you, I have NO SYMPATHY! It’s been 10 years. I wish Katniss had decided to be with some random dude rather than how that ended.
 
4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.
Mystery and Thrillers. Don’t care. And I hate that I’m supposed to catch the clues in Mysteries. Maybe, I’m just bitter.

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
Winnie the Pooh. Get over yourself, Bear. 

6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.
Jane Austin, H.P. Lovecraft, Tana French, John Irving, Margaret Atwood, Kazuo Ishiguro (even though he wrote one of my favorite books)

7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing. (examples “lost princess”, corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)

I actually love most stupid tropes, I just don’t read a bunch of any single one in a row. My least favorite is probably the Isolated girl/guy who falls for the only/ first member of the opposite sex they have every talked to. And it all ends HEA. I've been thinking of doing one of these Trope Bingo challenges.
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
Divergent. The Selection. For a while, I was avoiding the Lunar Chronicles but I’m almost ready.

9. The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
None. And after Percy Jackson, I will NEVER watch a movie based on a book that I even sort of liked. I have been actively not writing a blog rant about it, because I might shoot the computer. Which would probably get my library card revoked.


OK. I'm going to tag a new Twitter friend I met in the the most recent #BHPChat! Ashley at The Bookish Realm

No comments:

Post a Comment