Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Workshops about Writing: Training to get on my own nerves?

A couple of weeks ago, I started a workshop about creative journaling. It was kind of interesting. It's a small group of women (shocking). We did a couple of those "make a poem about yourself using the following prompt" kind of exercises. A little lame, but what can you expect. They're meant to EXPAND YOUR COMFORT ZONE, or whatever.

On some level though, I'm a little worried about learning too much about the "techniques" of writing, because I don't want it to ruin the free- for- all of my reading. I mean, Hubbo colors comic books for a living and he is all the time ruining things by talking about the usage of colors and shadowing and blah blah blah. I'm crazy enough without getting too stuck the the technical aspects of writing.... so why sign up for a workshop, you might ask..

Actually, it's mostly because I like getting together with people and talking about stuff that I like, like books and writing and what not. But also, I'm trying to make a larger space for writing in my life... hence this blog... hence this workshop.

I missed the second week, by the way. Because my kid was sick and "needed" me. Cute, right? She's 18.

Some notes about: starting a journal and the workshop to come back and pick up later:

  1. sticking with it - yet another journal with two completed pages
  2. getting in touch - feelings, time, a craft
  3. collecting ideas -
  4. the use of paper over a device - mixed feelings
  5. making fun of people - can be done in all formats!
  6. In every group of women there is always that one lady that should use the time for therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment