Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Books about Books: Yes, Please! [Book Review: 24- hour Bookstore]

First, let me just tell you that I was bamboozled. I think when I downloaded this audiobook, there should have been a warning that I would miss out on the glow-in-the-dark feature on the actual book. Seriously, it’s like no one has heard of informed consent! 

Ok, anyway. This is probably one of my favorite books of the year so far, but I’m not sure that it’s for everyone. Here’s why it was the right book at the right time for me:

It’s about books and a bookstore and I am a nerd. Do I have to explain this one? No. The characters visit several book stores and warehouses full of amazing tomes and artifacts. Hello! That’s good stuff.

It is about geeks talking about geek stuff and I am a geek. If you don’t like video games, technology, the internet, making things from cardboard and clay, or geeking out, this book will not hit you in the G (eek) spot like it did for me. Hehe… that’s funny. See what I did there?

There is an adventure that geeks go on that relates to stuff they read in fantasy novels as teens and I am, again, a big geeky nerd. What!? The last time my 15yo and I were in a library we imagined that behind the shelves there was doorway to Narnia and Diagon Ally. Even though the shelf was, indeed, a door, it was a secondary entrance to a conference room. No satres, no dragons, no underground book society. So, yeah. This book totally gives you that grown up taste of discovery and adventure.

Spectacular book quote:

"There is no immortality that is not built on friendship and work done with care."

No comments:

Post a Comment