Friday, December 11, 2015

Completed Book Challenges 2015



For 2015, I participated in 3 Reading Challenges that are completed, my first 24- Hour Readathon, and there are two challenges that have started that will go through the end of 2015 (I'll save those for a later post). Oh! I also became more involved with this whole book blogging community! Whoot whoot!

I like book challenges because they make me think a little about which books I'm choosing and can also force me out of the comfort zone of my usual books. Well, kind of. For the category- based challenges, there are always those categories that I don't do, usually the ones that I really don't want to read. 


The Goodreads Reading Challenge
For the Goodreads challenge, you get to choose the number of books that you are going to read for the year. I always start with a low and easily completed number. And then I change it as the year goes on. My final indicated goal was 150. I'm actually hoping to end the year with 180 total books read.

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon:
First time, not too shabby though I wanted to finish four whole books and I only got through 3.5. I blame my children who insisted on needing things. The Readathon is twice per year. I might try again in April. Maybe not. 

Readathon reads: 
I am Princess X  by Cherie Priest 
Ariah by B.R. Sanders
Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaiman
Breakout by Kevin Emerson (not completed for challenge)

Book Riot Read Harder Challenge 2015:
I think it's annual. Pretty simple: read one book from each category. I only ready 20 of the 24 categories. And I didn't finish the short stories book I chose. Because it was BORING. There's still time to complete a few more categories, but I'm gonna just call it done. I might try again for 2016. 

Challenge
Completed
A book written by someone when they were under the age of 25
White Teeth – Zadie Smith
A book written by someone when they were over the age of 65

A collection of short stories (either by one person or an anthology by many people)
Queen of the Fall (DNF)
A book published by an indie press
The Sins of the Father – Thelonious Legend
A book by or about someone that identifies as LGBTQ
Ask the Passengers
A book by a person whose gender is different from your own
A Replacement Life
A book that takes place in Asia
A Tale for the Time Being
A book by an author from Africa
Purple Hibiscus – Chimanada Adiche
A book that is by or about someone from an indigenous culture (Native Americans, Aboriginals, etc.)

A microhistory
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers - by Mary Roach
A YA novel
Reality Boy
A sci-fi novel
Strange Bodies
A romance novel
As You Wish
A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade
A Sense of an Ending
A book that is a retelling of a classic story
Dorothy Must Die, Scarlet, AntiGoddess
An audiobook
So many
A collection of poetry

A book that someone else has recommended to you
Necessary Lies
A book that was originally published in another language
The Dinner
A graphic novel, a graphic memoir or a collection of comics of any kind
Saga 1-4
A book that you would consider a guilty pleasure
Everything I Know about Zombies, I learned in Kindergarten
A book published before 1850
Wuthering Heights
A book published this year
The Cost of All Things
A self-improvement book (can be traditionally or non-traditionally considered “self-improvement”)

A sci-fi novel
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy


Teen Book Festival 2015 (May 2015):
Rochester has an annual teen book festival. This year there were 30 authors doing book signings and workshops and etc. There were SO many great books I read as part of this challenge. Link here for the post challenge recap. 


Author
Book
Notes
M. T. Anderson     
Thirsty, Feed
My thoughts on Feed are on my most recent post.
Jennifer Lynn Barnes     
Raised by Wolves
I definitely want to finish this series.
Charles Benoit     
Fall from Grace
This was so fun. I’m so glad I read this.
Heather Brewer     
Vladimir Chronicles 1- 4
Needing to read more than just the first one really killed my completion time for the challenge!
Jessica Brody     
Unremembered
Series to finish
Michael Buckley     
Sisters Grimm*
I have the two NERDS books at home. Plan to read.
Matt de la Peña     
The Living
This is a series to finish
Ally Condie     
Matched
When I head back into the dystopian genre, I’ll look Condi up, again.
Cinda Williams Chima     
The Heirs*
LOVE HER…
Sarah Dessen
Just Listen, Truth about Forever*
Kevin Emerson     
Exile
I went back and forth about this book. I would give the second one a shot.
Gayle Forman     
If I Stay
I had planned to miss all things Forman until some of the hype died down… but this book was good. Though, I think I would have liked a different ending.
April Henry     
The night she disappeared
Ellen Hopkins     
Burned
WAY better than I thought. The ending caught me by surprise.
Julie Kagawa     
The Iron Series*
A. S. King     
Reality Boy; Ask the Passengers
One of my new faves, for sure
Jo Knowles     
Jumping Off Swings (#1)
Emmy Laybourne     
Monument 14
Katie McGarry     
Crash into You
This turned out to be the third in a series. Oops. I might have been fine alone, though. It was light reading (for a 474 pages). Good girl, bad boys, messed up family lives. What’s not to love?
Sarah J. Maas     
Throne of Glass
A series to finish
Jonathan Maberry     
Rot and Ruin*
A series to finish
G. Neri     
Yummy
This is the saddest GN in history. I’ll be reading more Neri in the near future.
Jennifer Niven     
All the Bright Places
This book is getting a lot of attention. At least it is on my feeds. It was definitely a golden spot of the challenge but I’m glad I was ahead of some of the buzz.
Chris Pallace
Get Mooned – on its way to my library
Jason Reynolds     
The Boy in the Black Suit
I plan to also read: When I was the Greatest
Kevin Serwacki
Doorknob& the Parade of Bugs
This was a cute little picture book I had to drive two towns over to read at the library. I’m thinking of adding the bunny to my tattoo.
Neal Shusterman     
Bruiser, Unwind*
Already a Fave. Bruiser is one of my top fave books. Still need to finish the Unwind series, though.
Heather Terrell     
Fallen Angel
Just picked it up yesterday. It’s on my agenda to finish today.
Terry Trueman
Stuck in Neutral
I’m mad at this book.
James Howe     
Bunnicula 1-3
This audiobook had me cracking up. I plan to read The Misfits #1 to see what I think.



Spring 2015 14in4 (March - June 2015):
The 14in4 Book Challenge started as a way for me to challenge one of my booknerd friends, Nicole. I looked around online and found a category-based challenge designed so that the people doing it would read 14 books in 4 months, hence: 14in4. The first time we did it, we stuck pretty close to the one I found, using a point system and shooting to gain the most points. When we did it the second time, I was totally losing my mind to make points make sense to myself and I ditched it all together. There's a current one going right now, but that's a different post. Here's what I read for the one that ended in June. Link here for my post challenge ramblings.

Challenge
Completed
Read a book from one of the US banned book lists.

The basis for a movie that you have already seen.
Jurassic Park - Michael Creighton
A graphic novel (or trade paperback).
That you already own but have never read.
Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas
That was recently selected by a local library for book discussion.
With a character that has your first name.
Delicious Foods - James Hannaham
Set in the decade you were born.
Perfect- Rachel Joyce
In one calendar day. (Must be at least 150 pages long)
Crash Into You - Katie McGarry
Set in a place you’ve never been but want to visit.
How to Build a Girl - Caitlin Moran
Written by an author of a different racial, religious or ethnic background that you are.
The Living - Matt de la Pena
A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decade
Written by someone when they were under the age of 25
White Teeth -  Zadie Smith
A retelling of a classic story (e.g., fairy tale, Shakespeare, classic novel, etc)
Scarlett - AC Gaughen
A self- improvement book
**Story of a Happy Marriage (DNF)- Ann Patchett

No comments:

Post a Comment