Friday, April 28, 2017

Book Review: The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles

I got this book from a YA box subscription that I didn't really want. So, maybe I'm salty about that. But I don't think so. I might also be done with over-done tropes. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's just jump in:

The Goodreads bit:
"For the perfect love, what would you be willing to lose?

It’s been a shattering year for seventeen-year-old Zoe, who’s still reeling from her father's shockingly sudden death in a caving accident and her neighbors’ mysterious disappearance from their own home. Then on a terrifying sub-zero, blizzardy night in Montana, she and her brother are brutally attacked in a cabin in the woods—only to be rescued by a mysterious bounty hunter they call X." ...[Go to Goodreads page]

My Two Cents:
I loved the concept of the book: a young bounty hunter, an innocent born in hell, is tasked with bringing evil souls to perdition. On one of his missions, he meets a girl. The girl is smart, tough, and awkward and carrying a lot of baggage.

She calms his poisoned blood. He is… soft spoken. And plays people's sins on his back? But more importantly, he is super- hot. So, etcetera.

I mean. How do you mess that up!? With crappy dialogue and mediocre writing. That’s how. Wow. That’s harsh. But that’s how I felt reading it. Like… YOU ARE RUINING THIS BOOK!

Let's take a break from my eye- twitching to look at this beautiful shot from Cait over at PaperFury. Check out her review and other pics with a click!

Truth be told, I actually think that this is a book that I would have loved as a teenager/ YA, which, I guess is the target audience. And I might have liked it better as recently as 10 years ago, before I started paying more attention to the books that I read. Today, though, it’s just a bit under-cooked and over- clichéd. I’m not even interested if there is going to be a second book and this one ended on a cliff hanger. ::shrug:: 

Suggested Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment