Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: 10 (-ish) Characters to Visit at Different Ages

I am so impressed with myself right now! This will be my fourth Top Ten Tuesday post!
May 3: Ten Childhood Characters You'd Love To Revisit As Adults (ie a novella or something to see what they grew up to be) -- you could always just pick YA characters you've read recently you wouldn't mind revisiting in 10 years or so. Or you could pick 10 characters and guess what you think they'd be doing in 10 years or 20 years. OR you could go the other way and wish for coming of age stories for adult characters you love.

This one is tough! Who am I kidding? They are all tough. But this one requires some speculation into a different time in the lives of characters. I think I am going to do a mix of the suggested options. So basically, I am going to take favorite characters and think about what point in their lives I would want to know more about them. #CHEATING

1. Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series: Hermione is one of my favorite characters. I think I would actually want to go back and see what her life was like growing up with her muggle parents before she received her Hogwarts letter. I would think her experience was much different from Lily Evans’.
2. Fern from Charlotte’s Web: One of the questions of this story is whether Fern can actually talk to animals or not. No other person can. Was this a Dr. Doolittle thing, an open- minded/ pure of heart child thing, or what?! I would want to visit Fern as an adult and see what she thought about all that wacky animal talking stuff. And can she still talk to them? Can she just get spiders to walk out of her house, no problem? That is an important ability!
3. The parent characters in the Unwind series: It would be interesting to read/ write a memoir based on the experiences of parents who had decided to have their children Unwound as well as those adults in that world who voted in favor of such a thing.

4. Emer Morrisey from The Dust of 100 Dogs: Emer lived 100 lives following a pirate curse. I would want to talk with her about all the things she saw through that 100 years. But also a burning question: what is it like to be a dog!? Seriously, what do they really understand and hear and feel and think about!? Sometimes my dogs are geniuses and sometimes Jack just stands in the exact spot to get kicked. Every time.

5. Alice from Wonderland/ The Freaky Mirror and 

6. Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz: There are so many retellings and speculative books on what happens when these girls, who may have been dreaming, drugged, or psychotic, wake up. I want the scoop!

7.
8.
9.
10.


Ok, I can’t think of anymore right now… I’m going to schedule this to post and if I think of any, I’ll come back… but I can’t wait to see what other people come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment