Friday, April 1, 2016

What I've Been Reading (Outbox and March Recap 2016)

It's been a good month. I've read 9 books in the last two-ish weeks. [I posted about the first of the month earlier.] I don't think April will be quite as good because I've got tickets to two shows ( The Wizard of Oz and Matilda the Musical), the show I'm in runs two weekends and opens on the 15 (Charlotte's Web) and it's time to start making plans for the new training year at work. Boo to adulting.


March Blog Recap
  • I did three full review posts this month. High Five! They are linked at the bottom of this post.
  • I did a total of 8 posts!! I am kicking ass! That's 33 posts for 2016, so far.
  • I did a guest post over on The Book Voyagers, which was awesome. I'll cross post it here later in April. 

Outbox: Highlights from the Newbies
How it Went Down by Kekla Magoon: I just read this yesterday. The story is told from the perspective of several residents in a low- income, gang- dominated town where a black teen is shot by a white citizen. There are similarities between this story and far too many in the news lately. It's a treat to join the story as a spectator and be able to close the book when you need to a take a moment. Every story has more than one perspective and  each of these characters' lives are touched in surprising ways by the tragic death of a teen. Keep your box of tissues ready. I probably won't get to a full review on this one, but it's worth the time for those who are interested, those who are curious, and for those who need a little wake up call. #StayWoke #BlackLivesMatter


Dodger by Terry Pratchett: This was my first foray into a Terry Pratchett world. I just looked up the word foray... not exactly what I thought it meant, but I'll let it stand. Anyway. Dodger is a young man of about 17 years old who has grown up on the streets of London. He's a boss tosher, a person who goes around the sewers to find money and other things to make his living. He stumbles into the world of London politics when he rescues a girl from being assaulted and then meets Charles Dickens and Henry Mayhew. Along the way he also meets a few other famous Londoners and finds out that he can be a tosher or a gentleman when it comes to winning the grand prize, his new lady love. I loved this book and fully intend to jump on as a jane-come-lately to the wagon that is Terry Pratchett.
Rereads but not really, so Children's Books
Technically, there were no rereads this month, because I realized that I had never actually read the Wind in the Willows all the way through. I realized it about half way through when I looked around and realized none of it seemed even a little familiar. Do you ever have books like that? Maybe I read it as a child because I would have sworn that I did. It's about a group of animals, the most outrageous of which is Toad who is constantly trying to steal cars, break out of jail, or seek some sort of sensation. His friends chastise him and try to keep him in line. This book is totally weird. The animals are animals that talk and carry on in such a way as humans (driving, talking, dressing as people) but they people can understand them and know that they are animals even though they are a little freaked out by it? I don't know. I bet kids would have no problem with this brain fuck at all.


The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
So, apparently this is actually a collection of stories, only some of which are about Mowgli, the boy raised by wolves

and only some of which actually take place in a jungle. I read this in anticipation of the upcoming Disney remake and in marked opposition of my belief that reading a book before seeing the movie is the cause of all movie- theater- shooting incidents. But if you can't defy your own good sense, whose can you defy? AmIright?
*****
March Book Reviews:
   
Currently Reading:
  

No comments:

Post a Comment