Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Book Review: Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

Just from reading the description of this book you know that it is going to do things to your heart. Plus, it was on a list this week of "YA relationships that left us weak" or some such nonsense. So, before I started reading it, I got some nice cookies and milk and made sure my tissues were ready. 

Here's the Goodreads Description:
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

RIGHT!? So, like, you KNOW it's going to stab you in the heart. Even though you also know that this is yet another young girl (just post- 18th birthday) who is going to fall for the first damn boy she's ever spoken to and you suspect that someone is going to die or disappear and there goes your soul right with them. The writing is great. There were three spots where I actually closed the book and held it to my chest before I could go on. Literally. Granted, I may have worked myself up a bit.

Madeline has been home- bound since she was an infant.
She never knew her father or older brother, who were killed in a car accident. She reads, and blogs, and spends a very routinized life with her mother and her nurse. She's rarely considered what her life would be like if she weren't sick, and then Olly shows up and her nurse tells her that love won't kill her... 

The Good:
The writing: the prose, the metaphors, the way the teen characters talk to each other. 
The story and its pace, the quotables. 
The MC is a person of biracial color, half Japanese/ half African American.
The MC freaks out when there are risks.
The MC boy is not a jerk even though he's a wee broken.
The addition of the graphics and visuals. EXCELLENT. Some of them are so cute/ clever you can barely handle it. 
The Less Good:
Some of the same old girl meets boy tropey stuff.
I saw the ending coming. My 15 year old self feels differently about the end than my fhafbl-year old self.  

Nevermind. I love it all. My recommendation: start it when you have time to just read the whole thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment