Wednesday, July 26, 2017

July Recap, Part 1: Books

It might seem a little early for a July wrap up post, it’s only the 26th. But I figured I would write it while the mood was upon me. And I’m going to split it up a little between books I’ve read and shows I’ve seen. So this is part 1 – Books! (The other one will be about theatre. duh) 

So, let me tell you about what I've been reading.
I have only done one blog post which is a fucking disgrace. But it was a 3-mini review for books that were tear jerkers.


  

I’ve read 11 books so far.

Some highlights:
I read the first two books of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. I really like this story about a girl who draws pictures of the secret monsters who raised her and then discovers that there are many many many more secrets that she didn't know anything about. There are chimera (my favorite!) and angels (my second favorite!) and portals and some very rich world building. There is also war and a lot of scenes with people who are horrible to each other, so if you're not into that, skip this.

I reread The Serpent King by Jeff Zentzer thinking I was going to do a buddy read but then that fell through. I didn't mind, though. I've asked a couple of people in my book club to read it because I want to talk about my general dislike for Lydia. I reviewed this book last year. Goodbye Days is by the same author and is more evidence that writers can rip your chest open and stomp on your heart. Metaphorically.  
 
Splintered by A.G. Howard has been on my list for quite a while and I"m glad I finally got to this Alice in Wonderland inspired book. Alyssa is related to the original Alice and has to find the rabbit hole to break a curse on the women in her family. Or, alternatively, she's delusional. At least her cute best friend tags along!

CURRENTLY READING:
I picked this book up for no other reason than the cover looked interested on a library shelf. I like it so far. I plan to finish it before the month is out. And before it starts accumulating late fees at the library.


Check out other posts like this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment