Friday, March 11, 2016

What I've Been Reading (Outbox and BIP)

It feels like it's been forever since I did an Outbox post. But, it was only two weeks ago... click here if you want to see it. :)
Let's jump to it, shall we?

Highlights from the Newbies:
Halfway Dead by Terry Maggert could have fit into my recent post on female monster killers. Carlie is a witch (who practices white magic) who is charged with finding a lost tree in the middle of a forest. Along the way, she befriends a cop and a sexy half vampire Viking guy. The mandatory American -monster- slayer- story Wendigo makes an appearance. And... what's so important about some stupid trees? This was a fun romp through the Adirondacks with a little bit of gruesome guts and sparky fingertips. I'm definitely reading the second one.

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh is about a girl who agrees to marry a boy (a young man really, but that doesn't really make the sentence sound as good) as an act of rebellion. It's also about the other boy that loves the girl who is staging a rescue mission. But who the hell told him to butt in!? No one! This book has many of the YA tropes we've come to love in a well written story about not judging a person by his cover story. It ends in a bit of a cliff- hangy thing, so be prepared to be a little pissed off about that. This is the kind of book I would normally do a full review on, but I just don't have the time. Boooo to adulting! 


UnDivided by Neal Shusterman
I finally finished Neal Shusterman's Unwind series. Well, there are a few extra books, but I finished the four books of the main story. It was a totally intense emotional rollercoaster, man. Shusterman is a fucking master.
Rereads:
I've been rereading classics and children's books that I have loved before.
Peter Pan is a favorite tale. I think I was really struck this time with what a little ninny all the girls were. This is a stupid thing to be struck by, given that they've been little ninnies all along. It's easy to forget the characters over time, especially for things that are in the mainstream in so many different ways.

American Gods: I reread this in anticipation of the new TV show that's currently being cast. I still love it. Which, as you know, means that I am completely against watching the show... but maybe they won't totally screw it up! I mean, usually it's movies that ruin my life, maybe a TV show will do it right! Right? Right?! Anyway, there were also parts of it that I have thought about over the years that I had forgotten their source. This book is one of the reasons I love Neil Gaiman despite the fact that I don't always love his work.



 
 I'm Currently Reading
 
I also read three books about Female Monster Killers.
http://bookedupandbossy.blogspot.com/2016/03/3-theme-thursday-kickass-women.html

No comments:

Post a Comment