Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Books In Progress (and my revolving #TBR list)

Supposedly I've got about 5 books going right now... Truth is, they are all in varying degrees of progress. I have moved The Girl of the Train by Paula Hawkins to my "currently reading" list and back to the To Be Read list probably about three times. This last time, I actually made it about 25 pages in. But since it is a borrowed book (From an actual person) and I always have looming library fines, I had to table it to move on to a book that was due back. I might be a little nervous about reading this book right now, anyway, because there is so much hype about it. I'll get to it. I swear


I'm having this same trouble with Clockworkers by Ramsey Isler. The book has a great concept, an average Goodreads rating of over 4 out of 5 stars, and I'm excited to read it. But it's on my Kindle and I just can't get far enough ahead of my library reads and Book Club books to put all the words into my face! As I'm writing it, I realize how stupid that sounds and I'm moving it up on my priority list. TAKE THAT, PRIORITY LIST!! (In fact, I just nominated it for the #BlerdBookClub. Two birds, one stone).

I am ACTUALLY in progress with my usual one audiobook and one "real" book. On audio right now is Every Day by David Levithan. It's been on my TBR list for a long time and lo and behold it was available via OVerdrive last week. SWWEETT find! As an aside, if you don't know what Overdrive is, your inner nerd weeps for you. 

Anyway, I love Every Day. It's about a person who wakes up in a different person's body every day. At the age of 16, they discover something that makes them want to stick around... guess what it is... guess... it's love! Yep.  You guessed it. The decision to have a girl read the character for the audiobook was brilliant and really lends a different interpretation to the whole thing than you'd get with a male voice. If it weren't for the fact that my schedule has been a giant cluster fuck lately, I'd be done with it. My ears would have just consumed it all at once. 

If you're a book bloggy type, you already know that Judy Bloom, herself released a new book for adults this year called In the Unlikely Event. My Facebook book group (don't even ask) is reading it for AUgust. We are reading 100 pages per week. It is physically painful to read a book this slowly, but since I tend to facilitate the group I didn't want to get ahead of everyone else and say something that spoiled it. Plus, having a small section to read helped me stay on track given my clusterfucked schedule last week. The first chunk has set up about a million characters but I'm interested to see where it goes.


And finally, my current read is In Living Blood by Tananarive Due. This is a sequel to an equally massive tome about a woman who finds out she is married to a 1000 year old African God- type person. I'm not doing it justice. I've just started this book (did I mention my cluster fuck schedule?) and I love it already. It's "horror" and the the author wished me good dreams when I tweeted about reading it. Read the first book at least. If you don't like it, come back and see me. You need therapy. I'll get you a referral.


1 comment: